After having played around with Elasticsearch for indexing PI payloads and indexing ABAP source code, and especially after seeing the new (and now just-released) Kibana 4, it occurred to me that Elasticsearch would actually be great for business intelligence reporting.
A while back I had the opportunity to investigate SAPUI5 as an option for user interfaces on our current project. Here is a quick little getting started guide that I wrote back then, partly for my own benefit in case I ever need to get started on it again.
In this article, I investigate the possibility of developing a URL-based API for the Business Object Layer (BOL) that could be used to develop an alternative to the standard CRM Web UI.
Here is a post that I wrote in October 2009. I think the reason why I never published it was because I wanted to first investigate what other (standard) possibilities there were for providing this functionality, and I was afraid I would be embarrassed by some naive statements made in here. Anyway, for what it’s worth, here it is. (I don’t know what happened to Illustration 1. If I find it, I will try and put it back).
I recently got involved in a project where SAP MDM is being implemented. One of the attractive things about this assignment was the possibility of learning MDM. I must say though, that I was very disappointed with what I found.
Last night I managed to get the SAP Netweaver 7.0 (2004s) with MaxDB TestDrive working on an Ubuntu 9.04 server. It took a bit of fiddling, and I am still looking at improving the installation, but I got the server up and running, which was wonderful.
This year (I wanted to say “This Christmas”, but that is still a long way away) surprise your users with something nice: A file drop target for your ABAP applications. It’s easy – I’ll show you how.
If you have done much ABAP programming, you will probably have made use of the SAPGUI_PROGRESS_INDICATOR function at some point or other, which can be used to display the progress of a task. Desiring an alternative progress indicator, I set out to find an ActiveX object that provided a progress bar which I could control with OLE from ABAP.
The next time you are in the mood for some interesting Friday hacking, I may have just the thing for you. (This will only be fun of course if you are in a fairly restricted environment, where doing this kind of thing would be considered a hack 😉 ).
When you think about it, working in SAP is much like The Matrix (the ABAP side at least, and to ensure a good analogy, let’s exclude BW from the picture or focus just on ECC).