So I have been busy with the ABAP Lisp interpreter. The main focus now is the integration to ABAP. When I first started out with it, I had a vague idea in my head of what I wanted the interpreter to be able to do.
Since announcing the ABAP Lisp interpreter on SCN last week, I have made a few commits to the ABAP LispÂ repo. I was rather chuffed to get some positive response on the article, and it does provide a bit more motivation to keep working on it.
I published a blog post today titled “A Lisp Interpreter in ABAP” on SCN. I just finished developing a basic Lisp interpreter in ABAP which is inspired by Peter Norvig’s “(How to Write a (Lisp) Interpreter (in Python))” and Anthony Hay’s “Lisp interpreter in 90 lines of C++“.
We have had the capability to process JSON in ABAP for some time now (refer to this blog post for an introduction). The problem is that it does not satisfy all the use cases without some effort and, therefore, there is still some scope for writing a custom JSON parser in ABAP. I recently wrote one again.
After having played around with Elasticsearch for indexing PI payloads and indexing ABAP source code, and especially after seeing the new (and now just-released) Kibana 4, it occurred to me that Elasticsearch would actually be great for business intelligence reporting.
Sometimes source code modules get very big. You can argue that this should never be the case, if you modularize your code properly, but the fact is that they do. And when they do, they sometimes become difficult to read.
In my last post I briefly introduced you to the search front-end that I developed to go along with my ABAP source code indexing solution. Well, it turns out there was a severe bug in the search program which would prevent you from using the program with multiple cores (collections). So before I start the discussion, perhaps you want to grab the latest source code from the GitHub repo.
In my previous installment, I ended off by promising that I would post details of a search front-end for the ABAP source code index as an ABAP program. That was four months ago, so I guess it is high time I made good on my promise.
If you have been a long time reader of my blog, you may think I have a bee in my bonnet about being able to search through ABAP source code, as if it were some holy grail or something. Yet when I consider that, given the following use cases, I think there is a lot of scope for such a solution:
On my current project, I had to write some ABAP code to convert a (deep) ABAP structure to JSON. I have seen at least two projects out there that do the same thing, but nothing that converts JSON to ABAP. So I set out to produce an ABAP program to do this.