At our client we recently went live with a solution that incorporates SAP PI. At the time we did not have TREX set up to be able to perform searches on messages. (And at the time of writing we still don’t, but we should have it soon). So as a stopgap measure, I developed a solution that uses Elasticsearch to index payloads and allows you to search them.
I am busy doing a little proof-of-concept solution to produce a mobile app using a BSP application as a container. In concept, this sounds easy, but there are always snags that slow down the development process, particularly trying to test AJAX calls to a remote server from a locally hosted app.
A while back I had the opportunity to investigate SAPUI5 as an option for user interfaces on our current project. Here is a quick little getting started guide that I wrote back then, partly for my own benefit in case I ever need to get started on it again.
Sometimes source code modules get very big. You can argue that this should never be the case, if you modularize your code properly, but the fact is that they do. And when they do, they sometimes become difficult to read. Read the rest of this entry »
One of the hurdles I face in learning a new language, as you probably do too, is that I am always looking at it from the point of view of my current context, more specifically the current set of languages, and in particular, my favorite language, which is Ruby. I end up comparing everything I look at to Ruby’s ease of expression, the way I can quickly do real practical stuff, and the amount of libraries already out there. Read the rest of this entry »
In my last post I briefly introduced you to the search front-end that I developed to go along with my ABAP source code indexing solution. Well, it turns out there was a severe bug in the search program which would prevent you from using the program with multiple cores (collections). So before I start the discussion, perhaps you want to grab the latest source code from the GitHub repo.
In my previous installment, I ended off by promising that I would post details of a search front-end for the ABAP source code index as an ABAP program. That was four months ago, so I guess it is high time I made good on my promise.
If you have been a long time reader of my blog, you may think I have a bee in my bonnet about being able to search through ABAP source code, as if it were some holy grail or something. Yet when I consider that, given the following use cases, I think there is a lot of scope for such a solution: Read the rest of this entry »
While sitting in a meeting today, my mind wandered (as it sometimes does during meetings) to the way people collaborate in an enterprise environment, and specifically on a project, as opposed to in the open source world. This week I play the role of the cynicist (I just Googled that word and I am not sure it is a real word; at least the spell checker does not recognize it).