Archive for the ‘ABAP’ Category

Unicode in ABAP

Friday, February 3rd, 2012

Having worked with ABAP most of my career, I have not had to care a lot (if ever) about Unicode, maybe due to the fact that I work in a country where all SAP systems only use English (with very, very rare exceptions).

(more…)

BOL URL API (or RESTless BOL API)

Monday, November 21st, 2011

In this article, I investigate the possibility of developing a URL-based API for the Business Object Layer (BOL) that could be used to develop an alternative to the standard CRM Web UI.

(more…)

Change Password Web Service in SAP

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

Here is a post that I wrote in October 2009. I think the reason why I never published it was because I wanted to first investigate what other (standard) possibilities there were  for providing this functionality, and I was afraid I would be embarrassed by some naive statements made in here. Anyway, for what it’s worth, here it is. (I don’t know what happened to Illustration 1. If I find it, I will try and put it back).

(more…)

SAP Netweaver 7.0 with MaxDB Testdrive on Ubuntu 9.04 server

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010

Last night I managed to get the SAP Netweaver 7.0 (2004s) with MaxDB TestDrive working on an Ubuntu 9.04 server. It took a bit of fiddling, and I am still looking at improving the installation, but I got the server up and running, which was wonderful.

(more…)

File Drop Target for SAP GUI Apps

Friday, January 22nd, 2010

This year (I wanted to say “This Christmas”, but that is still a long way away) surprise your users with something nice: A file drop target for your ABAP applications. It’s easy – I’ll show you how.

(more…)

ABAP source code search continued

Monday, January 11th, 2010

It’s been about half a year since I wrote about building a custom ABAP source code search using Ruby and Ferret. The other day I had a little time to resurrect the project, and I thought I should tell you a little about my findings.

(more…)

Alternative SAP GUI Progress Indicator

Friday, October 16th, 2009

If you have done much ABAP programming, you will probably have made use of the SAPGUI_PROGRESS_INDICATOR function at some point or other, which can be used to display the progress of a task. Desiring an alternative progress indicator, I set out to find an ActiveX object that provided a progress bar which I could control with OLE from ABAP.

(more…)

Improved ABAP Source Code Search

Friday, June 19th, 2009

In my last post I showed you how to create your own searchable index of ABAP source code using Ruby in conjunction with the Ferret and saprfc extensions. Today I am going to show you a hugely improved version that will reduce the indexing time and give you a nicer search interface. (Amazingly, this whole thing came in rather handy for me in the last week!)
(more…)

Custom ABAP source search with saprfc and Ferret

Friday, June 12th, 2009

Today we are going to build our own search engine to search through ABAP source code on an SAP system using our favourite language – Ruby! (With the help of some nice libraries). Sure, there is the “Find in source code” option in SE38, and apparently you can use TREX as well, but this is much more fun.

UPDATE (19 June 2009): Refer to the next post for an improved version of the solution.

(more…)

More handy/useless ABAP info

Thursday, January 15th, 2009

Though it’s been a while, I feel I have to start the new year with something, just so you don’t think I have fallen off the planet. This time we look at another feature of ABAP, which you may call on one day when faced with a life-threatening situation deep in the African jungle, where only this piece of knowledge can save you, and you’ll be glad you read this post.

(more…)