Archive for the ‘ABAP’ Category

Mapping Lisp to ABAP: It’s hard work

Tuesday, July 7th, 2015

So I have been busy with the ABAP Lisp interpreter. The main focus now is the integration to ABAP. When I first started out with it, I had a vague idea in my head of what I wanted the interpreter to be able to do.

(more…)

Progress on the ABAP Lisp interpreter

Tuesday, June 30th, 2015

Since announcing the ABAP Lisp interpreter on SCN last week, I have made a few commits to the ABAP LispĀ repo. I was rather chuffed to get some positive response on the article, and it does provide a bit more motivation to keep working on it.

(more…)

Arbitrary value store (registry) for ABAP

Wednesday, May 20th, 2015

One of the problems ABAP developers face from time to time is the need to store arbitrary values for processing. These values do not always justify creating a new table, and there is no convenient place to store such values.

(more…)

Yet another ABAP JSON parser – and some other stuff

Friday, March 27th, 2015

We have had the capability to process JSON in ABAP for some time now (refer to this blog post for an introduction). The problem is that it does not satisfy all the use cases without some effort and, therefore, there is still some scope for writing a custom JSON parser in ABAP. I recently wrote one again.

(more…)

SAP Business Intelligence with Elasticseach and Kibana

Friday, February 20th, 2015

After having played around with Elasticsearch for indexing PI payloads and indexing ABAP source code, and especially after seeing the new (and now just-released) Kibana 4, it occurred to me that Elasticsearch would actually be great for business intelligence reporting.

(more…)

Classy headings in your code with ASCII art

Friday, November 1st, 2013

Sometimes source code modules get very big. You can argue that this should never be the case, if you modularize your code properly, but the fact is that they do. And when they do, they sometimes become difficult to read. (more…)

ABAP source code search using Solr (Part 3) – Using multiple cores

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013

In my last post I briefly introduced you to the search front-end that I developed to go along with my ABAP source code indexing solution. Well, it turns out there was a severe bug in the search program which would prevent you from using the program with multiple cores (collections). So before I start the discussion, perhaps you want to grab the latest source code from the GitHub repo.

(more…)

Effective (and easy!) ABAP source code search using Solr (Part 2)

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013

In my previous installment, I ended off by promising that I would post details of a search front-end for the ABAP source code index as an ABAP program. That was four months ago, so I guess it is high time I made good on my promise.

(more…)

Effective (and easy!) ABAP source code search using Solr (Part 1)

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012

If you have been a long time reader of my blog, you may think I have a bee in my bonnet about being able to search through ABAP source code, as if it were some holy grail or something. Yet when I consider that, given the following use cases, I think there is a lot of scope for such a solution: (more…)

JSON to ABAP data structure program

Monday, April 2nd, 2012

On my current project, I had to write some ABAP code to convert a (deep) ABAP structure to JSON. I have seen at least two projects out there that do the same thing, but nothing that converts JSON to ABAP. So I set out to produce an ABAP program to do this.

(more…)